“Spider-Man is an icon, one of the greatest superheroes of all time. We are finally able to bring him home to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.”
– Kevin Feige, Marvel Studios President and Producer of Spider-Man: Homecoming
A young Peter Parker/Spider-Man (Tom Holland), who made his sensational debut in Captain America: Civil War, begins to navigate his newfound identity as the web-slinging super hero in Spider-Man: Homecoming. Thrilled by his experience with the Avengers, Peter returns home, where he lives with his Aunt May (Marisa Tomei), under the watchful eye of his new mentor Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.). Peter tries to fall back into his normal daily routine – distracted by thoughts of proving himself to be more than just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man – but when the Vulture (Michael Keaton) emerges as a new villain, everything that Peter holds most important will be threatened. (SYNOPSIS)
The Incredible and Diverse Cast of SPIDER-MAN Homecoming
Naturally, I’m excited to see Robert Downey, Jr. star in this film because, I’m #TeamIronMan por vida. But, he’s not the main star. He’s Spider-man’s mentor. Spider-man is played by Tom Holland who Downey says is the perfect man for the job because he’s “enthusiastic, bright and gifted, a very physically talented guy by virtue of his dance and acrobatic background. He has just the right combination of elements required to bring a new take on the character.”
Beyond those two, here are a few casting moves that I’m looking forward to in SPIDER-MAN: Homecoming:
1. Marisa Tomei as Aunt May. Tomei won a special place in my heart way back in MY COUSIN VINNY. I love that she’s wise pero she’s not a viejita quite yet. She sounds like one of my tías.
2. Michael Keaton as the bad guy. Why? Because Michael Keaton, duh. He played Batman in 1989 for Christ’s sake. Here, he plays the Vulture.
3. Jacob Batalon as Ned. I’m not mad about showing some brown on the screen. Batalon is of Filipino descent and it’s only his second movie. I like this kid already. Some of my favorite scenes from the trailers are how excited Ned is to learn his best friend is Spider-Man. Wouldn’t we all be this way?
4. Zendaya as Michelle, the straight-shooter who sees through whatever game Peter thinks he has. Zendaya has made a name for herself for being self-assured and self-aware and empowering young women, especially young women of color, to be the same.
“My character is very smart, intellectual – but I’m not gonna lie: she’s super-weird,” says Zendaya. “She’s super-cool to me, because she’s constantly thinking about something, sits back and observes, and only says little things – but what she does say is very true and real.”
Bringing more diversity to the screen is Laura Harrier and Tony Revolori. Harrier plays Liz, Peter Parker’s smart and driven love interest. This charactor goes through a a huge arc in this movie creating a more complex character which we always appreciate. She’s a senior while the rest of the students are Sophmores, including Flash Thompson, Peter’s arch rival at school, played by Revolori.
Santikos Palladium IMAX
17703 W. IH-10 San Antonio, TX 78257
Date & Time:
*General Admission Passes are first come, first served. Not all seating is guaranteed.